Call Us Anytime 24/7 Emergency Service (503) 656-2867
Yelp Facebook Google+ YP Angie's List Email

P.O. Box 2679 | Oregon City, OR. 97045

Home Fire Prevention Tips

Home Fire Prevention Tips

It sounds trite, but the old saying is true: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." It is much better to practice home fire prevention than to have to call a restoration company to deal with fire damage after the fact--not to mention that fire in the home always puts you and your family at risk.

It sounds trite, but the old saying is true: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." It is much better to practice home fire prevention than to have to call a restoration company to deal with fire damage after the fact--not to mention that fire in the home always puts you and your family at risk. While some fire disasters are certainly beyond our control, the practical safety tips below should reduce the risk that your home will suffer fire damage.

Make your home "fire ready"

First and foremost--smoke detectors save lives. Secondly, the sooner they alert you, the sooner the fire can be controlled, hopefully minimizing damage. Install smoke detectors throughout your home, test them monthly, replace the batteries annually, and replace the detectors themselves every ten years. Consider installing a home sprinkler system, which can reduce or stop the spread of fire. Keep fire extinguishers throughout the home, and check their gauges regularly to make sure they are in working order.

Use electricity wisely

Just because you can "daisy chain" power strips to power a dozen devices through a single outlet, that doesn't mean you should. Overloaded electrical circuits are a common cause for house fires, and you shouldn't rely on the circuit breakers to protect you. Never run electrical wires over nails or under carpeting. Repair or replace damaged cords, and stop using any appliance or electrical device if you smell something burning or observe sputtering or smoke.

Keep fire in its place

Having a healthy respect for open flame is a huge part of home fire prevention. Fireplaces are warm and comforting, but when kept in disrepair, they can destroy your home. Have your chimney and fireplace inspected and/or cleaned at least once a year. Use a fireplace screen to keep logs from falling out, and keep a fire-retardant mat in front of the fireplace to catch stray sparks and embers. Avoid smoking in the home when possible, and never smoke in bed. Never leave an open flame unattended, whether it's a fire in the fireplace or candles on the dining room table.

Use space heaters wisely

Space heaters are among the most common causes of house fires, particularly when they are in disrepair or misused. Use extra care with kerosene heaters, and only use them according to manufacturer's instructions. When possible, use an electric space heater with a safety cutoff mechanism in case it overheats or tips over. Give space heaters a wide berth, keeping all objects at least 3 feet away.

Safety first!

This last point is most important: no fire is worth risking your life over. Your safety, and that of your family, are always the highest priority. Never try to put out an uncontained fire on your own: exit the building and call 911 immediately.

If you do need fire damage restoration services in Portland, as well as water damage restoration or even home remodeling, call the professionals at Willamette Restoration Services, Inc. They have been providing fast, quality service to the community for more than 20 years, and if home fire prevention ever fails, they'll get the damage restored quickly and efficiently. They can be reached at (971) 252-3003.

Add comment

0 Comments
Expand All | Collapse All

Got An Emergency?
BBB A+ Rating

Click Here for Reviews


Service Request

Fields marked with * are mandatory